Although most people are familiar with the term Search Engine Optimization (SEO), it’s important to know that just because you are using a particular SEO strategy doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the right one: good SEO must be done right. Many people tend to make the mistake of thinking that they simply need to choose a few keywords that seem relevant to the purpose of their website, but there’s really so much more to it! so today we thought it might be a good idea to let people know about some of the top SEO mistakes currently being made so you can do your best to avoid making them yourself.
The web is constantly evolving, making it so that SEO can change quickly. This means it is more important than ever to stay on top of any and all new changes, as this can have a direct impact on your website. The higher your rankings, the more visitors you can expect to visit your website!
Top 7 SEO Mistakes
- Lack of or the wrong Keywords. This goes both ways – some people make the mistake of using the ‘wrong’ keywords while others tend to ignore their importance and choose not to pay attention to using them at all. Keywords are critical to getting your site noticed and thus must be given the time needed to research and find the keywords that work best for your particular site’s niche. Don’t overstuff or spam keywords
- Lack of a Good Title Tag. Although leaving this tag empty is quite common, placing title tags around a keyword is critical to helping you optimize your site. Also create a title tag that makes sense.
- Not easy to read URLs. The importance of creating a good URL should never be underestimated. If at all possible, placing keywords in your URL can give you an advantage over website rivals in the eyes of Google and your users.
- Lack of Social Media. Facebook launched in 2004, and Twitter in 2006. These two recent additions to the array of social networks out there have created a fantastic platform for promoting your particular company/brand/product/service. These sites are free to join, so there’s no reason to delay the multitude of benefits that Social Media can bring.
- Quantity over Quality. Many people think that if they put a lot of content into a site, they’ve done their job. If only it were this easy! The quality of content is more important than the quantity; the more you write won’t necessarily bring you more traffic. What’s most important is giving viewers the quality information they’re looking for, which helps to establish you as a trustworthy site and will have them coming back for more.
- Lack of Internal Links. Linking the pages of your site together is easy to do yet often overlooked. This is really simple to do and can help to improve the overall rankings of your website.
- A poorly performing Website – High website load times are not only a turn-off for visitors to your site but Google also lists site performance as a ranking factor. Poor website design, images that aren’t optimized, and bloated scripts are usually main causes.
- Lack of Website Maintenance. Some people think that once you launch a website and add some content, you’re done. Wouldn’t that be nice? We live in a world that is constantly changing and evolving, making it so that websites are in need of constant upkeep in order to keep up with any and all pertinent news that could affect your particular website niche. This relates to technical aspects of your site as well as the content.
While this list is far from complete and I know I could swap in different items, this should give you an idea of some mistakes that you may be making in SEO.